Gatherings & Grills Permits
Come celebrate on Governors Island!
Now you can reserve space on GI to host your next party, family reunion, get together, shower, birthday or any ole’ celebration! Gatherings can be held while the Island is open to the public.
Reservations must be made at least 2 weeks in advance and are booked on a first-come, first-serve basis. You plan the fun for your family, friends and guests and we will provide:
- Reserved picnic tables at your selected grilling or gathering site – up to 5 tables
- A wagon waiting for you at the ferry landing to transport your party supplies
- All applicants will be charged a $26 non-refundable application fee.
- Dates cannot be placed on hold until the initial review process has begun.
- Dates and locations are only confirmed once all relevant paperwork has been received, reviewed and approved.
Sample Events that would require a Gatherings & Grills permit:
Baby or bridal showers
Reservation forms must be submitted at least (7) days in advance of the requested gathering date. Reservation forms are accepted on a rolling basis.
Public Season Begins
May 1, 2017
Public Season Ends
October 31, 2017
Gatherings & grilling reservations can take place any day the Island is open to the public. In 2017 the Island will be open to the public from May 1 to October 1.
Monday - Friday
10 am - 6 pm
Saturday - Sunday
10 am - 7 pm
- No vehicles
- No alcohol
- No overnight storage
- Gatherings must adhere to all existing GI rules and regulations
- Grilling is permitting in the grill area only. Grilling is NOT permitted elsewhere on Governors Island.
- Groups are welcome to arrive anytime during their reserved time slot; we cannot permit early arrival to set-up or staying later for clean-up.
- Groups are responsible for cleaning up food, drink and decorations at the end of the party. Garbage receptacles will be placed close to the picnic tables.
- Portable toilets are available near all gathering sites; flush-able toilets are at Soissons Landing in Building 110.
- A cleaning fee will be charged if the site is left untidy.
If you must cancel, please notify Governors Island staff at least 48 hours before the gathering. To reschedule or if you would prefer to use your alternate date, please contact the Events Office. Fees are non-refundable.
Fill out the GI Gathering Request form and submit the $26 reservation fee below.
Once your request form has gone through the initial review process and you will be contacted by TGI staff to confirm location and dates.
If you are not yet a registered user, you will be prompted to sign up before you can fill out the application.Register & Apply For Permit
Have more questions before applying? Read through these FAQs, or check out our Rules and Regulations.
In the case of inclement weather groups can cancel or reschedule their date however all fees are non-refundable.
Personal vehicles are not allowed. Permitted events/programs are allowed to pre-register vehicles for ferry access via the Governors Island ferry, the Coursen.
Vehicles are not permitted for grilling, gathering or sports field use reservations.
Permits are not required for small, informal gatherings that do not require reserved or private space, such as family reunions, picnics, or meet ups that take place when the Island is open to the public. Your group is welcome to come out to the Island during these days, pick a spot and enjoy all that the Island has to offer. Please see the GI Gatherings Permit for more information on small gatherings that require reserved space.
Alcohol is only allowed in designated areas within the GI food court.