Reserve a Grill
Come grill on Governors Island!
Now you can reserve a grill on Governors Island to host your next party, family reunion, get together, shower, birthday or any ole’ celebration! Reservations can be made while the Island is open to the public.
Reservations must be made at least 2 days in advance and are booked on a first-come, first-serve basis. You plan the fun for your family, friends and guests and we will provide:
- Reserved charcoal grill (2 feet in diameter) for the entire day. Visit our visitor info page for Island open hours.
- Reserved picnic tables at your selected grilling or gathering site – up to 2 tables
- A wagon waiting for you at the ferry landing to transport your party supplies
- All applicants will be charged a $26 non-refundable application fee.
- Applicants are responsible for bringing their own grilling supplies (including charcoal, lighter, etc).
- Dates and locations are confirmed once the Grill Reservation Form has been successfully submitted.
Sample Events that would require a Reserve a Grill permit:
Baby or bridal showers
Reservation forms must be submitted at least (2) days in advance of the requested gathering date. Reservation forms are accepted on a rolling basis.
Public Season Begins
May 1, 2018
Public Season Ends
October 31, 2018
- No vehicles
- No alcohol
- No overnight storage
- Gatherings must adhere to all existing GI rules and regulations
- Grilling is permitting in the grill area only. Grilling is NOT permitted elsewhere on Governors Island.
- Grills are reserved for the entire reservation date and groups are welcome to arrive anytime; we cannot permit early arrival to set-up or staying later for clean-up.
- Groups are responsible for cleaning up food, drink and decorations at the end of the party. Garbage receptacles will be placed close to the picnic tables.
- Portable toilets are available near all gathering sites.
- A cleaning fee will be charged if the site is left untidy.
If you must cancel or reschedule, please contact us at least 48 hours before your reservation at email@example.com. Fees are non-refundable.
Have more questions before applying? Read through these FAQs, or check out our Rules and Regulations.
Personal vehicles are not permitted for any reason.
Permits are not required for small, informal gatherings that do not require reserved or private space, such as family reunions, picnics, or meet ups that take place when the Island is open to the public. Your group is welcome to come out to the Island during these days, pick a spot and enjoy all that the Island has to offer.
Alcohol is only allowed in designated areas within the GI food court.