Proposals and Rentals on Governors Island
With a range of public programming in the areas of arts and culture, science and environmental education, and outdoor recreation, there is always something new to discover on Governors Island. As one of New York City’s fastest growing cultural destinations, Governors Island offers organizations an incredible opportunity to reach new audiences with groundbreaking, experimental programming.
Individuals or organizations planning a program or event that requires reserved space or production support must submit a proposal for a Public Program, or apply for a site rental or reservation. Please select a category below to learn more.
Please be advised that on Monday, February 19, we have scheduled maintenance to our permit system, during which time the system will be unavailable. The permit system will be available again beginning Tuesday, February 20.
Grill and sports field reservations will open in early 2018. Stay tuned!
- Selection criteria include:
- Fit or alignment with our vision to infuse the Island with dynamic arts and cultural programming, as well as educational opportunities in the arts, sciences and nature
- Applicant’s track-record of producing and organizing other exceptional programs or events
- Emphasis on public participation across diverse audiences
- Engagement with the Island as a site, including its histories, local ecologies, architecture and relationship to New York City
- Feasibility of the program based on the Island’s operational capacities and infrastructure.
Film & Photography
Permits are required for film and photo shoots – GI allows filming with a handheld camera and tripod during the public season/hours without a permit.
Propose a Public Program
Programs that are open to the public, whether free or ticketed, including artworks, installations, exhibitions, performances, concerts or festivals.