Island Rules and Regulations
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors, please abide by the following rules:
- All visitors, back packs, packages and vehicles are subject to search.
- Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Visitors may bring their own food and non-alcoholic beverages to the Island. Grilling is permitted only in designated areas through the Trust’s online reservation system.
- Catch-and-release fishing is permitted for visitors over 16. A valid New York State fishing license is required.
- Governors Island is home to unique historic and natural assets. Entering secured buildings and off-limit areas is not permitted. Do not remove any artifacts or other materials found on the Island.
The following items may not be brought onto Governors Island:
- Alcoholic beverages, marijuana or any illegal substances.
- Explosives, firearms and weapons of any kind.
- Motorized vehicles, including motorized bicycles, scooters, or skateboards.
- Pets or other animals. Service dogs are permitted in accordance with NY State law.
- Drones, except by permit for film and photography purposes.
- Smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke.
- Commercial activity or solicitation.
- Picking flowers or plants.
- Feeding any animals in the park, including birds or squirrels.
The Trust for Governors Island reserves the right to deny access to the Island or require a person to leave the Island if the Trust considers that the circumstances so require.