Film & Photography
Interested in filming or photographing on Governors Island?
Governors Island has been used for several films, television and photo shoots, on varying scales. Located in the heart of the New York Harbor, the 172-acre island is five minutes away from Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and offers spectacular views of the New York City skyline, an expansive park and over 40 historic buildings.
Films and production companies are welcome to make an appointment with the Trust to come and scout locations.
- All applicants will be charged a $26 non-refundable application fee.
- Submitting an application does not guarantee you will be granted a permit.
- Film or photo shoot dates cannot be placed on hold until the initial review process has begun.
- Date(s) and location(s) are only confirmed once all relevant paperwork has been received, signed and approved.
- Costs are determined according to the details in your application. The more detailed your application, the quicker and more accurately The Trust can estimate your costs.
Sample Events that would require a Film & Photography Permit:
Filming a movie/TV show
Magazine or fashion shoot
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis year-round. During public access season (May-September), large scale film and photo shoots will not be permitted on weekends and holidays.
Have more questions before applying? Read through these FAQs, or check out our Rules and Regulations.
There is limited capacity for vehicle access to Governors Island. Program and event organizers can pre-register vehicles for ferry access via the Governors Island ferry, the Coursen, which departs from the Battery Maritime Building in Lower Manhattan. Vehicles must be registered with the Trust at least 24 hours in advance. These vehicles must be transporting materials necessary to the events’ productions. Personal vehicles are not permitted for any reason.