Governors Island is a 172-acre island in the heart of New York Harbor. Yards away from lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, it's easily accessible by ferry and open to the public from May 1-October 31.
10AM-10PMLate Fridays are from May 26-Sept 14
Governors Island is accessible by ferry every day of the week during the public season.
Food and Drink
Visitors are welcome to bring their own food and eat at one of the many picnic tables scattered throughout the Island. Grilling is not permitted except at designated Grilling Stations that can be reserved here. Visitors may not bring alcohol onto the island but can purchase and consume it in designated areas here. A wide range of food vendors can be found at the Island's two food courts.
Services for Non-English Speakers
Governors Island welcomes all New Yorkers. Events on our website can be translated via Google Translate. Visitor maps are available in Chinese, Russian and Spanish.
Indoor restrooms are located in the Battery Maritime Building in Manhattan, Pier 6 in Brooklyn and Building 110 on Governors Island. There are portable toilets available at multiple locations on the island and trailer bathrooms at the west end of Liggett Terrace and near Slide Hill.
All ferries going to and from Governors Island, as well as the grounds of the island itself, are accessible to those in wheelchairs. Not all buildings on the island are wheelchair-accessible. Building 110, located next to Soissons Landing, is wheelchair accessible. Wheelchair-accessible portable toilets are located throughout the grounds.
Rules and Regulations
To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all visitors, we ask that you abide by the following rules:
- -All visitors, back packs, packages and vehicles are subject to search.
- -Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- -Visitors may bring their own food and non-alcoholic beverages to the Island.
- -Grilling is permitted only in designated areas through the Trust’s online reservation system.
- -Catch-and-release fishing is permitted for visitors over 16. A valid New York State fishing license is required.
- -Governors Island is home to unique historic and natural assets. Entering secured buildings and off-limit areas is not permitted. Do not remove any artifacts or other materials found on the Island.
The following items may not be brought onto Governors Island:
- -Alcoholic beverages, marijuana or any illegal substances.
- -Explosive, firearms and weapons of any kind.
- -Motorized vehicles, including motorized bicycles, scooters, or skateboards.
- -Pets or other animals. Service dogs are permitted in accordance with NY State law.
- -Drones, except by permit for film and photography purposes.
- -Smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes or other products that produce a vapor or smoke.
- -Commercial activity or solicitation.
- -Picking flowers or plants.
- -Feeding any animals in the park, including birds or squirrels.
The Trust for Governors Island reserves the right to deny access to the Island or require a person to leave the Island if the Trust considers that the circumstances so require.