VOLUNTEER ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
Thank you for your interest in joining our volunteer team! Applications for the 2019 season are currently closed.
Governors Island relies on dedicated volunteers to keep this incredible public space welcoming and beautiful for all. Whether you’re hoping to try your hand at gardening, meet new people, or become a true Island insider, our volunteer program has something for everyone. Volunteers get free access to the Island, Governors Island swag, discounts on merchandise and invitations to exciting events throughout the year.
Do you have a passion for art and Governors Island? Join our team of public art docents and help engage visitors with our 2019 public art commission, a large-scale artwork by Shantell Martin that transforms a former church building into an immersive art experience.
- Engage with visitors inside a new, large-scale public art installation on Governors Island
- Learn and share information about the work
- Assist with daily operations for the space, including opening and closing and visitor counts
- Assist with poetry readings, talks, and other events within the space
Visitor Data Collector
Comments and opinions count! Join our survey team and collect valuable feedback from visitors about their experience on Governors Island.
- Collecting zip code data from our visitors and administering on-Island visitor surveys with an iPad
- Learning about the Island’s rich history, current programming, and plans for the future
- Answering visitor questions and providing detailed information about Governors Island
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 2 shifts per month. Must be 16 or older. Additional training required.
Love Governors Island and want to share your enthusiasm with other visitors? Island Ambassadors provide visitor services and act as a welcoming presence on Governors Island by giving directions, answering questions, and informing visitors about events and activities happening around the Island.
- Serving as a friendly, helpful, and informative resource for visitors at Island welcome centers
- Answering visitors’ questions about the Island’s events and attractions
- Providing directions to visitors to navigate around the Island
- Assisting with public events and programs
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 2 shifts per month.
Got a green thumb? Get your hands dirty tending to the Island’s sprawling meadows, young forest groves, beautiful flowerbeds, and brand new landscaped hillsides.
- Tending the landscapes of the new park and the historic district
- Seeding and cutting back wildflowers and native grasses
- Removing and controlling invasive plants
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 1 weekly shift on weekdays. Must be 18 or older. Gardening experience is a plus, but not required!
Looking to get your whole team or company involved?
Check out our Corporate Opportunities and bring your group out to Governors Island for a fun, fulfilling and rejuvenating day outside the office.