VOLUNTEER ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
Thank you for your interest in joining our team! We rely on the power of volunteers to keep Governors Island welcoming and beautiful for all. Whether you’re hoping to get your hands dirty, make new friends, or become a Governors Island insider, our robust volunteer program has something for everyone. Volunteers gain free access to the Island, get a special volunteer t-shirt and discount on merchandise, and are invited to exciting events throughout the year!
Volunteering on Governors Island is easy:
- Review our volunteer opportunities below
- Fill out a simple online application
- Attend a volunteer orientation
- Sign up for your volunteer shifts
- Have fun while giving back to Governors Island!
Have a passion for storytelling and public speaking? As a Tour Guide, you will learn the Island’s fascinating history and many of its little known secrets. Armed with this insider knowledge, you will lead groups around the Island, pointing out important landmarks and telling the story of this vibrant civic space.
- Learning from knowledgeable staff about the Island’s rich history
- Leading engaging tours of the historic district and the new park for community groups and the public
- Answering visitor questions and providing detailed information about Governors Island’s past, present, and future
Shifts available on weekends and weekdays. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 8 shifts. Must be 18 or older. Additional training required.
Love Governors Island and want to share your enthusiasm with other visitors? Island Ambassadors are the Island’s Welcome Committee, answering visitors’ questions about the Island’s design and history, and highlighting the many free arts, cultural, and recreational programs happening each weekend.
- Serving as a welcoming resource for visitors at key locations across the Island
- Answering visitors’ questions about the Island’s physical and programmatic attractions
- Assisting with public events and programs
- Collecting data to improve the visitor experience
Shifts available on weekends and weekdays. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of four shifts. Must be 16 or older.
Got a green thumb? Bring your talents to a verdant island oasis in the heart of New York City and help us take care of our beautiful lawns, flowerbeds, meadows, and trees.
- Tending the spectacular landscapes of the new park and the historic district
- Seeding and cutting back wildflowers and native grasses, controlling invasive plants
- Learning to conduct soil moisture readings and tree inventory
Shifts available on weekdays. Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 8 shifts. Must be 18 or older. Gardening experience is a plus, but not required.
Corporate & Team Volunteering
Looking to get your whole office or group involved? Check out our Corporate Membership program and bring your team out to the Island for a day of fun in the sun and giving back! Our Corporate and Team Volunteer Days are custom-tailored to the size and interests of your group. We will work with you to develop a signature project and a schedule of activities that addresses your goals while also meeting the Island’s needs.