VOLUNTEER ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
Governors Island relies on dedicated volunteers to keep this incredible public space welcoming and beautiful for all. Our volunteer program has something for everyone, whether you’re hoping to try your hand at gardening, meet new people, or become a true Island insider.
What we’re looking for in our volunteers:
- Passion about public spaces and the value they bring to urban environments
- Excitement about getting to know new people
- Joy in being outdoors
- Commitment to environmental and community stewardship
In response to COVID-19, the Island will be implementing new health and safety protocols to ensure that all visitors and volunteers can practice social distancing on ferries and while on the Island. Check out the volunteer opportunities below and join our community.
Want to share your enthusiasm about Governors Island with other visitors and help build a community of supporters? Island Ambassadors:
- Serve as a friendly, helpful and informative resource for visitors around the Island
- Answer visitors’ questions about the Island’s events and attractions
- Provide directions to visitors to navigate around the Island
- Help staff the Island’s welcome center and info desk
Got a green thumb? As a Gardening Volunteer, you will assist the Trust for Governors Island Horticulture Staff in caring for the Island’s sprawling meadows, young forest groves, ornamental flowerbeds and landscaped hillsides. Governors Gardeners:
- Perform seasonal gardening tasks including planting, pruning, weeding, watering, raking, mulching and transplanting (all require ability to bend, lift, and kneel)
- Learn to identify and remove invasive plants
- Serve as a friendly, helpful and informative resource for visitors
Looking to get your whole team or company involved?
Check out our Corporate Opportunities and bring your group out to Governors Island for a fun, fulfilling and rejuvenating day outside the office.