VOLUNTEER ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
Thank you for your interest in joining our volunteer team!
Governors Island relies on dedicated volunteers to keep this incredible public space welcoming and beautiful for all. Whether you’re hoping to try your hand at gardening, meet new people, or become a true Island insider, our volunteer program has something for everyone. Volunteers get free access to the Island, Governors Island swag, discounts on merchandise and invitations to exciting events throughout the year.
Love Governors Island and want to share your enthusiasm with other visitors? Island Ambassadors provide visitor services and act as a welcoming presence on Governors Island by giving directions, answering questions, and informing visitors about events and activities happening around the Island.
- Serving as a friendly, helpful, and informative resource for visitors at Island welcome centers
- Answering visitors’ questions about the Island’s events and attractions
- Providing directions to visitors to navigate around the Island
- Assisting with public events and programs
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 8 hours per month.
Got a green thumb? Get your hands dirty tending to the Island’s sprawling meadows, young forest groves, beautiful flowerbeds, and brand new landscaped hillsides.
- Tending the landscapes of the new park and the historic district
- Seeding and cutting back wildflowers and native grasses
- Removing and controlling invasive plants
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 8 hours per month. Must be 18 or older. Gardening experience is a plus, but not required!
Have a passion for storytelling and public speaking? As a Tour Guide, you will learn about the Island’s past, present, and future - and many of its little known secrets. Armed with this insider knowledge, you will lead groups around the Island, pointing out important landmarks and telling the story of this vibrant public space.
- Learning about the Island’s rich history, current programming, and plans for the future
- Leading engaging tours of the historic district and the new park for groups and the public
- Answering visitor questions and providing detailed information about Governors Island
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 5 hours per month. Must be 18 or older. Additional training required.
Corporate & Team Volunteering
Looking to get your whole office or group involved? Check out our Corporate Membership program and bring your team out to the Island for a day of fun in the sun and giving back! Our Team Volunteer Days are custom-tailored to the size and interests of your group. We will work with you to develop a signature project and a schedule of activities that addresses your goals while also meeting the Island’s needs.