VOLUNTEER ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
Thank you for your interest in joining our volunteer team!
Governors Island is not accepting new volunteer applications at this time. Please check back in Spring 2019 for volunteer opportunities.
Comments and opinions count! Join our survey team and collect valuable feedback from visitors about their experience on Governors Island.
- Collecting zip code data from our visitors and administering on-Island visitor surveys with an iPad
- Learning about the Island’s rich history, current programming, and plans for the future
- Answering visitor questions and providing detailed information about Governors Island
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 4 hours per month. Must be 16 or older. Additional training required.
Love Governors Island and want to share your enthusiasm with other visitors? Island Ambassadors provide visitor services and act as a welcoming presence on Governors Island by giving directions, answering questions, and informing visitors about events and activities happening around the Island.
- Serving as a friendly, helpful, and informative resource for visitors at Island welcome centers
- Answering visitors’ questions about the Island’s events and attractions
- Providing directions to visitors to navigate around the Island
- Assisting with public events and programs
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 8 hours per month.
Got a green thumb? Get your hands dirty tending to the Island’s sprawling meadows, young forest groves, beautiful flowerbeds, and brand new landscaped hillsides.
- Tending the landscapes of the new park and the historic district
- Seeding and cutting back wildflowers and native grasses
- Removing and controlling invasive plants
Volunteers must commit to a minimum of 8 hours per month. Must be 18 or older. Gardening experience is a plus, but not required!
Corporate & Team Volunteering
Looking to get your whole office or group involved? Check out our Corporate Membership program and bring your team out to the Island for a day of fun in the sun and giving back! Our Team Volunteer Days are custom-tailored to the size and interests of your group. We will work with you to develop a signature project and a schedule of activities that addresses your goals while also meeting the Island’s needs.