Governors Island Opening Weekend!
May 26, 2016 12:24 pm
The time has finally come! Governors Island will open in only 2 days! This season will be the most fun-filled ever for the Island. There are more exhibits, festivals, and performances than ever before. We’ve expanded our Brooklyn Ferry service to include Memorial Day and Labor Day. And on July 19th, we will proudly unveil the Hills, the newest development on the Island. There is so much to look forward to!
During opening weekend, the Island will feature special programming that includes the Friends of Governors Island’s Family Fun Fest and the Rite of Summer alt-classical concerts. You can read more about all the amazing activities planned for the two events at: https://govisland.com/events. Ferries will run every half hour between Brooklyn’s Pier 6 and the Island on Saturday, May 28th, Sunday, May 29th, and Memorial Day, Monday, May 30th. Our gratitude goes out to Council Member Brad Lander whose leadership has helped us expand Brooklyn’s ferry access!
In addition, on opening weekend, we’ll be offering sneak previews of the Hills! Hour-long tours will depart from Liggett Arch at 11am, 1pm, and 3pm on Saturday and Sunday. Leslie Koch will be there to lead the 11am and 1pm tours both days! Hardhats and vests will be provided but you must wear closed-toe shoes to participate. If you can’t make it this weekend, have no fear! Tours will be offered until July 19th when the Hills open.
We invite you to peruse our website for more information about everything from food options to art exhibitions. Finally, if you’re not already excited enough for the summer, here are some fun facts about the Island’s 2016 Public Season!:
* More than 400 free bikes available for Free Bike Mornings program
* Island is open for 121 days this season
* More than 100 acres of green space are open for visitors to play, relax and enjoy views of the Harbor, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn
* More than 30 indoor art exhibits in historic officers’ homes (the most ever)
* 25 festivals and special events
* 24 different food vendors to enjoy (including Vendy Award winners)
* 11 freestyle pilots are participating the US National Drone Racing Championships over the Island this August
* 10 new acres of green space for all to enjoy when the Hills open on July 19
* 3 days when visitors can learn aboard the Hōkūleʻa, an historic Polynesian canoe that is circumnavigating the globe without modern navigational instruments
* 1 working dog Max who is our ambassador to the public and works to keep our lawns and grass clean for visitors
* And much more!
Please contact us with any questions and find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates and more information about the Island! We can’t wait to see you this summer!
Photo: Tim Schenck