Castle Williams is currently temporarily closed to the public.
Castle Williams is a circular defensive work of red sandstone on the west point of Governors Island in New York Harbor. It was designed and erected between 1807 and 1811, designed by the Chief Engineer of the US Army Corps of Engineers, Lt. Col. Jonathan Williams, for whom the fort is named, and considered a prototype for new forms of coastal fortification. The castle was one component of a larger defensive system for the inner harbor. Now under the care of the National Park Services, Castle Williams is open to the public.
Join a National Park Service Ranger for guided tours of Castle Williams every day at 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM and 3:30 PM. This guided tour includes access to the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Castle, which are inaccessible otherwise.
More information at nps.gov/gois.